[tpm] Why perl lost steam...

Stuart Watt stuart at morungos.com
Tue Sep 21 07:44:16 PDT 2010

  Let's face it, Perl isn't exactly easy. I am hoping Perl 6 may help,
but Perl 5 sigils and context take a lot of getting used to. When I
taught students, they had a hard enough time with basic Java - which is
essentially a trivial language by comparison. And so, basically, are
Python and Ruby.

Perl's merit is in the complex stuff. If all you need is standard SQL
databases and CRUD, who cares? If you need to interface to LDAP, SNMP,
Twitter, OpenSSL, math libraries, C code, email, ActiveX, etc. - that's
when Java et al. gets harder and Perl gets easier. Especially when you
need to connect several of them, which is typical.

Personally, I love Catalyst, for the purposes I use it for. But then I
did web app development in Spring, which is very similar. Neither are
for a quick start, they are for seriously architected large-scale
systems. If you want to learn how to develop a good web app, there is a
lot to be said for a larger-scale framework, as you need to get the hang
of how to separate concerns and encapsulate business logic effectively.

Perl also (finally) has the object system it needed to do good
architectures. With Moose roles, you can actually break up your code
into functional components you cannot do with purely class-based
languages. Spring's hacky AspectJ went towards this, with somewhat
inexplicable terminology. The ideas Perl develops will continue to
enhance other languages as the ideas become mainstream -- I am happy to
work at the cutting edge that is modern Perl.

--S
stuart at morungos.com
twitter.com/morungos