[tpm] Why perl lost steam...

Tom Legrady legrady at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 08:50:08 PDT 2010

Perl 5 is not made easier by

@a = ( 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13 );
$b = $a[ rand @a ];
@c = @a[3..6]

At least perl6 turns those into

@a = ( 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 13 );
$b = @a[ rand @a.elems ];
@a = @a[3..6]

On the other hand, Perl6 changes things we're used to. And while it's
wonderful that Perl6 introduces powerful concepts, those new operations
require symbology : attributes, private attributes, list operations, all
sorts of fun stuff. It will stretch Randall Schwartz's abilities to provide
a clear and simple training program.

Tom