arrivals dinner question

James E Keenan jkeenan at pobox.com
Wed Jun 13 13:06:24 PDT 2018

On 06/12/2018 11:15 PM, Brian Mielke via yapc wrote:
> I just signed up for this mailing list, so I may be repeating something asked/stated earlier so I apologize in advance.
>
> A few of us at my company were discussing the arrivals dinner yesterday.  I was informed that there was a request for someone to help organize a venue. Has anyone stepped up for this yet?  If not, I can help by calling restaurants in the area near Little America.  I'd just like a little assistance in attendance estimates.  It sounds like we had about 30 people at the arrivals dinner last year and had quite a few more people at the arrivals dinner in SLC in 2015.
>
> Here was a link a coworker dug up for the 2015 arrivals dinner details:
>
> http://www.yapcna.org/yn2015/wiki?node=PreConferenceActivities
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Mielke

Brian,

No, as yet no one has stepped up to the plate.

https://github.com/perlconference/tpc-2018-slc/wiki/Arrival-Dinner has a
link to how we organized this event in 2015.

I'm attaching the "Call for Arrival Dinner Organizers" post I made to
this list on May 26 (probably before you signed up for the list).  It
has information about how this event was organized in the past.

Since we're so close to arrivals day, we might perhaps dispense with my
recommendation to negotiate a prix fixe buffet with a restaurant, and
instead simply make a reservation for 10 and have people order a la
carte.  If by, say, Saturday, we have more than 10 people signed up, we
can simply ask for more tables.

If, for example, you were willing to make a couple of phone calls to
restaurants to get the ball rolling, then post on the wiki page above,
that would get the ball rolling.

(You or anyone else interested can contact me off list for further hints.)

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan