[Wellington-pm] Roundup of last night's meeting

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Thu Sep 13 20:57:20 PDT 2007

Douglas Bagnall wrote:

> I think what Richard's hazy memory is recalling is the time when
> superpositions/junctions were predicted to able to somehow,
> automatically, spread their work across all available processors.  While
>  these kind of operations are inherently parallelisable, the perl
> process that contains them is not (or at least is awfully less so).  So
> if junctions are doing this, they will be using magic that is similar to
> something from Sam's list.  I suspect that they aren't, though.

Unless I misread http://pugs.blogs.com/pugs/2006/10/smp_paralleliza.html  or
unless Audrey has since discovered otherwise...  hasn't Pugs been parallelizing
junction evaluation since October last year?

Audrey gives a number of other in-built threading examples here:
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=580042  There is probably a more up-to-date
list somewhere with the Pugs perl 6 pages too.

All the best,

	Jacinta

--
   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson         |
    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |