[tpm] [Fwd: Re: Vim turns 30 today!]

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 08:11:04 PDT 2021

I started using an IBM PC for development in Fall of '85; to begin, I used
a terrible editor called XTC from a company called Wendin. They claimed to
be able to shell out to run make, but it didn't work. I moved to a much
better editor called Brief from (heh) Underware. That editor was super
fast, and it did allow me to shell out to run make -- my first IDE. Like
Indy, I used the Lattice C compiler -- expensive, but it worked great.
After that, I used the Turbo C IDE to write code -- only $99 (or
something), and it had an editor, compiler, make, linker and debugger all
packaged to work together. Amazing value.

Before that, in the early 80's, I used EDT on a VAX/VMS, while some of the
hard-core guys used TECO, which was essentially a line editor.

Like Indy, the late development details of the 70's and early 80's are a
little vague for me. I would learn about a new system by using whatever
editor was available, and I would get shown how to build, run and debug
stuff. Picking up a new environment was just what you were used to doing. I
do remember in the mid 90's discovering an awesome linker (an alternative
to the slow Microsoft product) called Blinker -- it was lightning fast.
Loved that product. I also used 4DOS in the late 80's, a command.com
replacement that gave you command line editing (the kind of stuff that's
standard in bash). It made using the DOS command line so much easier.

Alex

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 10:47 AM Indy Singh <indy at indigostar.com> wrote:

> What did people use 31 years ago before Vim?
>
> Text editing is always a fascinating subject to me.
>
> I know in the 70's I used paper tape and punch cards. Then an IBM
> mainframe
> online editor called Electric.
>
> In 1980 I wrote my own editor in Fortran to run on a Teradyne
> minicomputer.
> There was some sort of online edit on PDP minicomputers.
>
> The 80's are a bit hazy now. That's when IBM Pc's came out.  After some
> head-scratching I recall I used the Lattice C compiler, which was
> Microsoft's first C compiler.
>
> In the 90's it was a Modula 2 IDE, along with Microsoft's Visual C/C++ IDE.
>
> Indy Singh
> www.indigostar.com

Alex Beamish

Software Developer / https://ca.linkedin.com/in/alex-beamish-5111ba3
Speaker Wrangler / Toronto Perlmongers / http://to.pm.org/
Chair, Sponsorship Committee, TPF / https://www.perlfoundation.org/
Baritone, Operations Manager / Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
www.northernlightschorus.com