[tpm] [Fwd: Re: Vim turns 30 today!]

Indy Singh indy at indigostar.com
Wed Nov 3 07:47:02 PDT 2021

What did people use 31 years ago before Vim?

Text editing is always a fascinating subject to me.

I know in the 70's I used paper tape and punch cards. Then an IBM mainframe
online editor called Electric.

In 1980 I wrote my own editor in Fortran to run on a Teradyne minicomputer.
There was some sort of online edit on PDP minicomputers.

The 80's are a bit hazy now. That's when IBM Pc's came out.  After some
head-scratching I recall I used the Lattice C compiler, which was
Microsoft's first C compiler.

In the 90's it was a Modula 2 IDE, along with Microsoft's Visual C/C++ IDE.

Indy Singh
www.indigostar.com