[tpm] tn1 visa and remote work?

Olaf Alders olaf.alders at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 15:04:43 PST 2013

On 2013-01-27, at 7:49 PM, Syed Faisal Akber wrote:

> It depends what you call work in the USA. If it is meetings, then you do not need a special Visa to enter the US. 
> However, almost everything else constitutes work and requires a Visa.  I hear that an H1 is easier to get than a TN1.  Either way, a proper Visa is required. 
> Most people who travel occasionally and have to do work, say that they're going for meetings anyways instead of getting a Visa.  If the customs officer beleives you, you're in. 
> I would suggest talking to an immigration lawyer to be certain of what you can and cannot do. '

I work via telecommute for an American company.  I had to fly down for some meetings in September and the customs official gave me an extremely hard time because I didn't have any paperwork from HR stating exactly what I would be doing while in the US.  Eventually he let me continue on, but for a while it felt like he was going to send me back home.  So, while it worked for me to travel without the paperwork, it was a really unpleasant experience.

Olaf Alders
olaf.alders at gmail.com


866 503 2204 (Toll free - North America)
416 944 8306 (direct)

More information about the toronto-pm mailing list