[tpm] Why perl lost steam...

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Tue Sep 21 09:13:30 PDT 2010

On Tuesday 21 September 2010 15:47:39 Martin at Cleaver.org wrote:
> I'd contend that building a Web app in Groovy on Grails is where beginners
> should start.
>
> Grails is one (not several competing) Web Framework, Groovy is Java and
> J2EE compliant, yet a scripting language with closures and implicit
> parallel programming support. Together they give you scripting access to
> all the J2EE components developed over the past decade while hiding the
> crappy
> verboseness of XML and Java.
>
> Building a Web App? As much I know and like Perl I wouldn't start a new Web
> App in one.

OK, great, you've recommended Groovy and Grails. First time I've heard someone
recommending Grails for web-development (though I've heard of Groovy). Other
Java programmers seems to like Scala a lot, and other think that Clojure is
the cat's whiskers. There's also Node.js, Lua, Haskell, Erlang, Python's
Django, and lots of other hyped technologies. Who should I believe?

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to learn some of them (or all of them) for
enlightenment, but at the end of the day I'm bamboozled from all the choice
and don't know whether they are really as good as their hype is. And right now
I'm getting paid for working on a Perl+Catalyst Project so that's what I'm
using.

Well, no one said there's wrong by having more than one way to do it, but
lately there's been a ridiculous number of new technologies to build web apps,
and I don't know what to choose.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish