[tpm] Perl as a career

Antonio Sun antoniosun at lavabit.com
Sat Mar 7 22:50:36 PST 2009

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Adam Prime <adam.prime at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> The hard part of AJAX is the front end, not the backend.  The backend in any
> language is nearly alwasy DBI (or it's equivilent) and JSON::XS (or it's
> equivalent). The hard part of AJAX is taking the data you get from the
> server, and doing something with it in the client.  Frameworks generally
> don't do that much for you in that regard other than possibly give you a
> bunch of stock html/js/css with examples.

Just FYI, The PHP framework that I used not only covers the backend,
but also all 3 tiers of M.V.C. layers. The AJAX part, which is
executed at the user end, plug seamlessly with the V and C  layers.

Personally, I believe that the era of building AJAX not "by-hand" but
by utilizing frameworks has already arrived. IMHO, ExtJS is taking the
lead at the moment http://extjs.com/learn/Ext_2_Overview. If you like,
scroll down to the bottom of
http://extjs.com/learn/Tutorial:Introduction_to_Ext_2.0, for examples
of using ExtJS in various languages (including Perl), which shows that
ExtJS is language-neutral. ExtJS can integrate with the PHP framework
that I used (apart from its native AJAX support), but I haven't find a
Perl based web development framework that has such seamlessly AJAX
integration yet.

Again, I'm just stating the fact, and have no intention to belittle
the Perl language that I'm found of.

Antonio