[Thamesvalley-pm] Venue Issues

Ismail, Rafiq (IT) Rafiq.Ismail at MorganStanley.com
Mon Sep 10 02:43:20 PDT 2007

Hi Adam,

@pm.org] On Behalf Of Adam Trickett
> Sent: 10 September 2007 10:28
> To: ThamesValley Perl Mongers
> Subject: Re: [Thamesvalley-pm] Venue Issues
>
> On Tuesday 04 September 2007 11:19, Ismail, Rafiq (IT) wrote:
> > Our venue, MWB, is bailing on us.  Well, actually, they are
> > Anyone got alternatives?  Contacts at the university of
> Reading?  On
> > good terms with your own employers?
>
> I think we can easily gate crash the local LUG meetings,
> especially if we spread our selves about, and offer talks!

Sounds like an idea.

> The Silicon Corridor (Berkshire) have monthly meetings in a
> pub in Reading on a Wednesday which may be a good spot for
> the occasional social meeting.

Do we know which Pub this is?  They might be willing to host our own
meetings?

> Hampshire LUG have a good venue at the University of
> Southampton every other month on a Saturday, they have two
> rooms, one for talks and one for a meeting. They are
> currently holding a joint meeting with the Surrey LUG at
> University of Surrey at Guildford on the alternate Saturday.

I'm wondering if this might turn out to be far for many of our members?
Still sounds like an option.

> Surrey LUG have both pub and bring-a-box meetings once per
> month, one of the BaB meetings being shared with Hants-LUG.
> As with Hants the University is a good meeting venue.
Nice.

> There are two LUGs in the Oxford area, don't know much about them.

Iain Emsley has offered to talk to someone at the 'Jericho Tavern,' in
Oxford.  Apparently they already hold regular tech-nights.  He's also
suggested that there might be interest from the university..

> Next we need to get a contact at Oracle, Uni of Reading or
I sent an email to the head of cs at Reading.  Still waiting for a
response.

> someone other central location who can hold meetings for us.
> The Reading Remix is an open source project with space that
> is one possibility - their site is down at the moment.

Thanks.  Sounds like we might survive.

Do you know anyone involved with the regional lug's who we might be able
to suggest our periodic gate crashings to?

R.