SPUG: Randal Swartz Presentation to the Seattle SAGE group is Next thursday 7 PM

Jeremy Mates jmates at sial.org
Thu Jan 2 15:57:44 CST 2003

----- Forwarded message from Scottie Swenson <swenson at heronetwork.com> -----

From: Scottie Swenson <swenson at heronetwork.com>
Subject: Randal Swartz Presentation to the Seattle SAGE group is Next thursday
 7 PM

The next Seattle SAGE meeting is Thursday, January 9th, 2002 at 7pm.

*** Due to the expected size of the meeting it will NOT be at the UW Rosen
Building. In fact we encountered a scheduling problem with the normal
auditorium style room we borrow for large meetings such as this. So BE
LOOKING for another email with the special location in the next few days.

*** This is a very special meeting:
 1) Anyone in or near the Systems Administration or Programming
    professions will really want to attend.
 2) Randal has requested we "PASS THE HAT" for his legal defense
    funds and to offset the costs of his coming up here. Please
    note he has refused direct reimbursement from Hero Network or
    the Seattle SAGE Group for coming up here to give this very
    important presentation.
 3) The meeting WILL start at 7:30 PM. Hero Network will be
    providing some light refreshments (soda & cold cuts) starting at
    7 PM.
 4) There will still be a late informal diner (NOT SPONSORED) after
    the meeting. Since this is a large meeting we would like a head
    count ahead of time so we can warn the restaurant if we have a
    larger then normal crowd going with us. Randal has not told us
    if he is coming to the diner. But, if he is Hero Network will
    be trying to buy him a diner at least.... :^)

Please make every effort to arrive by 7:15 P.M. to claim your seat. It will
very likely be standing room only.

---
Next meeting: Thursday January 9th, 2002 at 7:30 PM
           Title: Just Another Convicted Perl Hacker
              by: Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn at stonehenge.com>
        Location: TO BE ANNOUNCED
      Directions:
        Web Site: http://www.seattle-sage.org/
---

This month's technical speaker is a, very real, convicted felon
and co-System Administrator (and to a lot of SAGE members "one of
the good guys"). You may know him better as the author of two
Nutshell books for O'Reilly and Associates: "Learning Perl" (aka
the Llama Book) Available in English, Japanese, French, and German;
and "Programming Perl" (aka the Camel Book). Randal also writes
a many technical columns for magazines like Web Techniques &
Dr. Dobbs Journal.

However, Randal Schwartz, in late July 1995, was convicted, by
a jury, of three felony counts under Oregon's Computer Crime Law.
The charges related to his activities while working as a
consultant (Systems Administrator) at an Intel Corporation
facility in Beaverton, Oregon. His sentence issued in September
includes 5 years of probation, 480 hours of community  Service,
90 days of deferred (cancelable) jail time, and $68k of
restitution to Intel. His legal bill exceeded $170k by
the end of 1995.

Randal Schwartz is respected on the Internet for his
contributions to the progress of the Perl programming language
through his two books, long-time participation in the
comp.lang.perl(.misc) newsgroup, moderation of the newer
comp.lang.perl.announce newsgroup, and training courses.

The purpose of his talk is to describe both the events, his
mistakes and the problems with modern computer crime laws.  This
talk is to help prevent what happened to him from happening to
any other well-intentioned  computing professional. Preventing
similar incidents requires insight into this unforeseen
application of a law that is intended to protect organizations
against thieves, spies, and casual intruders to the enforcement
of a corporation's internal rules of operation.

Randal has agreed to give us the rare opportunity to hear the
entire store with all the nitty-gritty details.  This means
that he will need a little over 3 hours.  In order to provide
such a meeting we are dispensing with normal SSG business and
after a short introduction the stage will be all Randal's. To
make sure we do not die of thirst or malnutrition Hero Network
is sponsoring a refreshments table with soft drinks, and snacks
available during the 20 min half-time break.

This is a powerful presentation that you might consider bring
others not normally in attendance (spouses, bosses, etc.).

---

This is FREE and open to the public and a wonderful opportunity.

The Seattle SAGE Group (SSG) is a local group for systems & network
administrators in the Seattle and Pacific northwest areas (North
Western Washington). We are a local chapter of SAGE, but SAGE / USENIX
membership is not a requirement.  We sponsor a regular monthly meeting
open to the public on the second Thursday if each month at 7 p.m.

Check out our Web site for more information:
        http://www.seattle-sage.org/

--

Cheers,
Scottie

// Scottie Swenson                 2308 N 149th Street, Suite #100
// President                       Shoreline, Washington 98133
// Hero Network                    phone (206)367-1675 fax (206)306-1678
// mailto:swenson at heronetwork.com  http://www.heronetwork.com/

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Jeremy Mates                                        http://www.sial.org/