SPUG:Microsoft: Open source threatens our business model

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.com
Wed Feb 19 14:19:58 CST 2003

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 11:00:02AM -0800, David Innes wrote:
>Hmm.  If I had a choice between a five year old version of Windows and
>Linux I'd pick Linux too.  (Actually there's a five-year-old Linux box
>collocated in my datacenter and I get at least four post-midnight pages
>a year to go out and reboot the thing.  I guess technically it isn't
>crashed, since Linux never crashes, but it's unresponsive to net or
>console I/O and the screen, though not blue, is black.)

I have five year old versions of Linux running here and at client sites
(Caldera OpenLinux 1.2 and 1.3) that get rebooted only when there are power
failures or equipment moves.  The systems are doing their jobs, and there
hasn't been any compelling reason to update them.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.

``Microsoft IIS has more holes than a wheel of Swiss Cheese after a shotgun
blast'' -- John Dvorak