SPUG:Microsoft: Open source threatens our business model

David Innes davidinnes at chicagoscience.com
Wed Feb 19 13:00:02 CST 2003

Hmm.  If I had a choice between a five year old version of Windows and
Linux I'd pick Linux too.  (Actually there's a five-year-old Linux box
collocated in my datacenter and I get at least four post-midnight pages
a year to go out and reboot the thing.  I guess technically it isn't
crashed, since Linux never crashes, but it's unresponsive to net or
console I/O and the screen, though not blue, is black.)

The rest of the machines in our data center rarely crash because they
have modern and generally well-maintained operating systems like recent
builds of Red Hat, Symbian, and Windows 2000, and while I do
occasionally get paged to reboot one of these it's generally due to
hardware (bad memory) or user issues (compiling the kernel with the
wrong flags) and not the underlying OS.

The longest running, the most heavily used, and most trouble-free
machine in our datacenter, naturally, uses BSD.  (If I had to go back to
a UNIX dialect I'd obviously go there first.)

And of course (this is a Perl list, after all) all the machines, even
the old one that keeps crapping out, run Perl beautifully.

As for versions of Office?  I guess it boils down to which version first
supports Perl as an embedded scripting language.  We know StarOffice
won't go there willingly since Sun's position is if you don't use JAVA
you belong in a Guantanamo Bay tiger cage.  OpenOffice has a request out
for a UNO bridge for Perl.  I hear MS Office 11 will let you use any
.NET language. (I haven't yet had time to play around with perl.net.  I
guess if I ever do I'll have to give a lightning talk at SPUG.)

Bottom line on the OS and Open/Closed wars?  As long as they all support
Perl it's hard to care.

		-- David Innes