[SP-pm] Fwd: [Perlweekly] The current Perl Weekly News - Issue #11

Alexei Znamensky russoz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 09:16:29 PDT 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gabor Szabo <gabor em szabgab.com>
Date: 10 October 2011 11:44
Subject: [Perlweekly] The current Perl Weekly News - Issue #11
To: perlweekly em perlweekly.com

   Perl Weekly <http://perlweekly.com/>

Issue #11 - October 10, 2011
 You can read the newsletter on the web<http://perlweekly.com/archive/11.html>,
if you prefer.

Hi there!

The London Perl Workshop will take place on 12th November. There are going
to be a few training classes. Among them, I am giving a 4 hours long Perl
Testing class. It would be nice to see you there.

I read a blog post, (I won't link to it) about the the lack of documentation
of some CPAN modules and how it is the 'job' of the CPAN authors to write
that too. I would like to see more and better documentation, but this rant
was totally useless. If you find a module lacking documentation and you are
already reading the source code to understand how to use it, please, spend
an hour or two writing some PODs and sending to the author. Or just publish
them as a blog entry. This will make our whole ecosystem better.

But let's see the posts:

Articles

Taming Pod::Weaver <http://babyl.ca/techblog/entry/taming-pod-weaver>
It is Yanick Champoux story time again. This is such a great counter example
of the other blog post, I read today. That rant about the lack of
documentation. This is a solution. I love the way Yanick writes. I wish, I
would understand more of it. No! I wish I could write like that.

Why Perl?<http://jjnapiorkowski.typepad.com/modern-perl/2011/10/why-perl.html>
The Perl Weekly readers probably don't need any convincing as to why use
Perl but this article by John Napiorkowski can be a good tool when you talk
to others about the language.

Corelist and Perlbrew - 2 Perl command line tools for remote Perl
work<http://blogs.perl.org/users/tyler_slijboom/2011/10/corelist-and-perlbrew---2-perl-command-line-tools-for-remote-perl-work.html>
Tyler Slijboom asks: Will this script run under the Perl version available
to the customer? and then uses the above two tools to give an answer.

Yet another taint mode
reminder<http://www.dagolden.com/index.php/1560/yet-another-taint-mode-reminder-to-use-taint-mode-if-you-care-about-security/>
For improved security of your Perl application David Golden (dagolden)
suggest the use of the (IMHO) mostly neglected taint mode of Perl.

Testing

Test::DBIx::Class<http://blogs.perl.org/users/wolfgang_kinkeldei/2011/10/testdbixclass.html>
Wolfgang Kinkeldei too complains about documentation (this is the 3rd I read
tonight) but he actually complains that there is too much of it ... so he
provides a simple example on how to use the Test::DBIx::Class module.

Code

The inevitable Tie::CHI<http://www.openswartz.com/2011/10/07/the-inevitable-tiechi/>
Caching a hash. Jonathan Swartz, the author of Mason and CHI shows how 'tie'
can provide a very simple interface to a cache.

Pagination has become kids play with Dancer
...<http://blogs.perl.org/users/mohammad_s_anwar/2011/10/pagination-has-become-kids-play-with-dancer.html>
Mohammad S Anwar is new on blogs.perl.org and this is his second very useful
blog. This time he takes us through the way he used
Template::Plugin::Pagination to divide up a result set to several pages of
results.

Querying ElasticSearch from
VIM<http://blogs.perl.org/users/ovid/2011/10/querying-elasticsearch-from-vim.html>
It is a bit unclear to me why did Ovid give this title while it seems the
interesting part of his blog entry was the Perl script that highlights the
character where a json file has a syntax error. The funny thing is that the
Perl Weekly is based on a JSON file and I am writing it in Padre. So I
already wanted to write a plugin to do syntax checking of JSON files. Now I
can just take what Ovid wrote.

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming
language and related topics.
Want to see more? See the archives <http://perlweekly.com/archive/> of all
the issues.
Reading this as a non-subscriber? click here to join
us<http://perlweekly.com/>free of charge.
(c) Gabor Szabo <http://szabgab.com/>
don't want to receive mails any more.

Alexei "RUSSOZ" Znamensky | russoz EM gmail com | http://russoz.org
GPG fingerprint = 42AB E78C B83A AE31 7D27  1CF3 C66F B5C7 71CA 9F3C
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexeiz | http://github.com/russoz
"I don't know... fly casual!" -- Han Solo