[sf-perl] Real perl

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue Apr 10 20:26:04 PDT 2012

You mean like: http://www.scriptarchive.com/ ?

> Anybody out there code in... You know... Perl?

Sent from my iPhone

Somewhat unfortunate comment likely due to the iPhone.  Obviously, using
Moose or any CPAN module still requires coding in Perl.

Sure would rather see programmers use DBI and LWP instead of doing it "old
school".  Likewise with Moose -- rather see code that doesn't "old school"
class attributes, ugly multiple inheritance, and uses a generic SUPER for
every type of override situation.

The think my experience with Moose is that code has fewer compile time
errors.  The code tends to work as expected sooner.  Code is consistent
across classes.  Much better compartmentalization of code.  Elimination of
replication.  It's simply a module that encourages good programming
techniques and replaces all the receptive code that one tends to get wrong
-- just like what many, many other "old school" modules on CPAN provide.

So, come on.  All your friends are doing it.   It's completely safe.  Have
some kool-ade.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org