[sf-perl] SanFrancisco-pm Digest, Vol 74, Issue 14

David Ljung Madison pm.org at Daveola.com
Sat Mar 19 13:55:40 PDT 2011

Fred says:
> Imagine the situation of uploading a data file, then viewing the
> status message of 'your invites have been sent to everyone ...'

I disagree.

You're not uploading a "data file" as you put it, you're uploading
your address book, you shouldn't be surprised if a web site sends
email to every address it can get.

Secondly, you don't own your friend's email addresses, *they* do.
And I would argue you don't have the right to upload someone else's
email address to *any* website under just about any condition.

It is their private information, just like their phone number,
their address, etc..

Consider - I now have your email address.  Would it be right of
me to start uploading it to every website I see, regardless of
their privacy policy (or ability to adhere to it, or ability to
protect their email database)?  I know a bunch of spam sites who
would be happy to get your email.  But it's not mine to give, no?

Dave