[sf-perl] [meeting] Perl + MongoDB => Mongoers + Fun

Josh Berkus josh at agliodbs.com
Tue Jun 7 11:03:21 PDT 2011

Greg,

> I'll venture to bet that most people define 'web scale' according to
> their personal experiences.

Right.  And unfortunately the marketdroids want to do the exact opposite
and claim that their solution is perfect for every workload.  It just
makes it hard for me to take MongoDB seriously when they keep throwing
around this total buzzword nonsense, even in completely inappropriate
venues (like perlmongers).

If someone says things like "new paradigm" or "web scale" to me, then it
tells me that person has no idea what they're talking about, regardless
of the merits of the technology they favor.  "Index billions of pages"
is a meaningful benchmark, as is "store petabytes of data".  "Webscale"
is a content-free buzzword.

Fred, do you have confirmation that we're getting an *engineer* for
perlmongers and not a marketdroid?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.