[sf-perl] [OT] email reminders

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Wed Apr 27 13:03:22 PDT 2011

This isn't "on the web", per se, but there's a unix command-line (mostly) calendar program called 'remind' that I used to use. The beauty of it is that, by being a unix command-line program, it can be piped, redirected, and manipulated 1000 different ways using the various other unix command-line programs. On top of that, it's actually a smarter calendar program than iCal and Google Calendar, because it can do some really sophisticated date math.

For an overview, see either of these:
http://www.43folders.com/2005/02/24/guest-mike-harris-looks-at-remind
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3529?page=0,0

For your particular case, you can set up remind to send you email, as long as you have a machine with a net connection to run it on:
http://roaringpenguin.com/wiki/index.php/Remind_FAQ#How_can_I_get_emailed_15_minutes_before_some_events.3F

Finally, the download link from the official site:
http://roaringpenguin.com/products/remind

It's not as pretty as Google Calendar, but since it'll run on your own machine, it'll be as stable as you can make it.

-- Mike

PS - I stopped using remind when I got my iPhone. Now I just sync to my smart device and cut out the network entirely. But that's just me. I still think iCal is awful, though.
Mike Friedman | HighWire Press, Stanford Univ | friedman at highwire.stanford.edu