[sf-perl] last night's meeting

Joseph Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Wed Apr 27 16:58:48 PDT 2011

The meeting seemed to go fairly well last night at Naan-n-Curry.
David Sharnoff gave us his first impressions of Python's strength and
weaknesses from the perl point of view, Thuon Chen did a quick
presentation of a "rosetta" for the languages
Perl, Python, R and Ruby, Josh Berkus dropped by and answered
questions I had about column-oriented databases and such, and in
general there were more conversational threads going on at any moment
than you could keep track of.

And just to following up on something I was saying:

I was reading some criticism of jquery recently, by Rebecca Murphey,
who essentially argues that it's DOM-centric view of the world isn't
that well suited to real applications (great for simple stuff, but too
hard to get it to do complex stuff):

 http://www.dagolden.com/index.php/1446/is-javascript-the-new-perl/

(By the way, Naan-n-Curry still rules for these impromptu meetings, a
few blocks from Bart, big tables with no reservations necessary, and
an all-you-can eat buffet for $10 cash, even if we did have to keep
asking 'em to turn the music down again so we could hear each other...
and I had some trouble talking while being attacked by a heavily
spiced piece of cauliflower from hell.)