[sf-perl] [ot] pruning rsnapshot backups

Mark Grimes mgrimes at cpan.org
Thu Mar 25 11:49:47 PDT 2010

Each tree is made up of files that may share inodes with other trees.
Deleting one file will not delete its contents as long as there is
another file that references that inode. You should be able to delete
one tree without impacting others***.

That said, since the trees sharing inodes, they typically don't take
up all that much room. If you are just deleting blindly you might have
to delete a whole bunch of trees to make an impact. I have a q&d perl
script that I use to see which trees are really taking up space. Often
you can spot something odd in just a few backups that are taking up a
bunch of room. You can find the script at:

http://www.peculier.com/dl/du-bank

Hope it is helpful.

*** I am not all that familiar with rsnapshot specifically, but I use
the rsync --link-dest in my own backup scripts.