[sf-perl] [ot] pruning rsnapshot backups

David Alban extasia at extasia.org
Thu Mar 25 12:21:29 PDT 2010

hi mark,

thanks for your response.

until now, i've been finding the largest files in the latest snapshot
and, if they don't need to be backed up, i delete them from all trees
(except the original :-).  so it's not a matter of finding the
"largest" trees, it's just a matter of keeping a small subset of those
generated to this point.

anyway, thanks for confirming the independence of each tree!

david

p.s.  related amusing story.  i once tried to rsync an rsnapshot
"metatree", that is, a tree containing multiple snapshots to different
filesystem partition, but i forgot to use the --hard-links option (to
preserve them) and i filled the destination partition. :-)

--
Live in a world of your own, but always welcome visitors.