[sf-perl] IDEs and/or Editors

Joe Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 22 20:13:06 PST 2007

Fred Moyer <fred at redhotpenguin.com> wrote:

> Joe Brenner wrote:
> > Michael Friedman <friedman at highwire.stanford.edu> wrote:
> > perltidy essentially performs the same job as the emacs/cperl-mode
> > indent features.
> >
> >> To me, integrated perltidy support is a Required Feature of any Perl IDE.
> >
> > I don't think the need is as great in the emacs world, but there
> > are methods of doing anything like this you might imagine...
>
> I've been using the perltidy macro in Perlnow and have been really happy
> with it - http://obsidianrook.com/perlnow/emacs_as_perl_ide.html#perltidy
> (note shameless plug of Joe's emacs ide, which I've been quite happy with)

Thanks, I was wondering where I put that note.

I was thinking about adding minimal perltidy support like that to the
next version of perlnow.el... but if there's a perltidy minor mode
maybe it's not needed.

> One other killer feature I've found that I can't live without is
> auto-complete.

Which in emacs is essentially just

  M-C /

without any setup needed.

Myself, I've never gotten into using that, though... I'm more inclinced to
use the emacs "registers" a lot.  Any long identifier I expect to need to
re-use, I stash in a register.  For example, to save the region to register
"1", you do a "C-x r s 1" and to insert it somewhere else you do a " C-x r i
1" (though myself, I keep the "insert" key bound to "insert-register" because
it's not good for much else).

> I've been in emacs mode lately and managed to hack in
> autocomplete (well, more like hack in someone else's solution to my .emacs
> file :) ) - http://use.perl.org/~Phred/journal/32324

Ah, I think I see... you seed the autocomplete system with a list of words
you expect to be using.  Otherwise I guess it just uses the current buffer
as a source of completions.