opening pipe to process already running

John R. Comeau comeaujr at sd.conexant.com
Fri Jun 9 13:20:46 CDT 2000

I'm running on SunOS5.5.1, and I'd like to be able to open a pipe to a
process that's already running.  That is, suppose I have a 'daemon'
process that runs all the time.  Then periodically another process
will run and communicate with the daemon process over a Unix pipe.  I
don't even know if this is possible in Unix; all the Perl examples
I've seen deal with pipes between parent and child processes.
However, in my case the processes do not have a parent-child
relationship.

What I currently have implemented is that the daemon process looks for
special files created by the periodic processes.  However, this is
messy since those files may be left over if one of the processes is
killed before it can delete them.

I know that you can send a signal to a running process, but how do you
open a pipe to it?

I guess another possibility is that I could use a FIFO file (named
pipe) instead of the normal files I currently have implemented.  But
still that seems messy.

--
John Comeau (john.comeau at conexant.com) 858-713-3593 (W)
Ich bin gespannt, wie die Ausfuhrung des Planes vonstatten gehen wird

The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org

List requests should be sent to: majordomo at hfb.pm.org

The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org

List requests should be sent to: majordomo at hfb.pm.org