opening pipe to process already running

Eugene Tsyrklevich eugene at securityarchitects.com
Fri Jun 9 18:00:51 CDT 2000

~sdpm~
On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 11:20:46AM -0700, John R. Comeau wrote:
> ~sdpm~
> I'm running on SunOS5.5.1, and I'd like to be able to open a pipe to a
> process that's already running.  That is, suppose I have a 'daemon'
> process that runs all the time.  Then periodically another process
> will run and communicate with the daemon process over a Unix pipe.  I
> don't even know if this is possible in Unix; all the Perl examples
> I've seen deal with pipes between parent and child processes.
> However, in my case the processes do not have a parent-child
> relationship.
> What I currently have implemented is that the daemon process looks for
> special files created by the periodic processes.  However, this is
> messy since those files may be left over if one of the processes is
> killed before it can delete them.
>
> I know that you can send a signal to a running process, but how do you
> open a pipe to it?
>
> I guess another possibility is that I could use a FIFO file (named
> pipe) instead of the normal files I currently have implemented.  But
> still that seems messy.

if your processes are unrelated than you have to use FIFOs for your pipes IPC
see  http://www.perl.com/pub/doc/manual/html/pod/perlipc.html  for more details

my personal favorite is sockets.. another alternative (which is probably the messiest) is shared memory

cheers,

Eugene Tsyrklevich
Security Architects, Inc.
~sdpm~