[Purdue-pm] Mark's Travelling Capital Problem

Mark Senn mark at ecn.purdue.edu
Fri Feb 18 07:15:09 PST 2011

  > I just haven't made the time to calculate the longest route (the easier
  > of the two I think).

I think finding the longest route and the shortest route are the
same amound of work if you do it numerically.  If I'm thinking
about this right: the shortest route minimizes the path distance.
The longest route maximizes the path distance.  If you use
the negative of the distances between capitals and minimize
that I think that will give the longest path.  If I'm thinking
about this right.  Rhetorical question: will this observation help compute
the longest and shortest path "at the same time" faster
than computing one path and then the other path?    -mark