[Purdue-pm] Mark's Travelling Capital Problem

Mark Senn mark at ecn.purdue.edu
Fri Feb 18 06:58:32 PST 2011

  > I think the decision for the longest is sound. I cannot imagine a more
  > convoluted path than longest.png, but I'm seeing problems with the
  > "shortest" graph. Clearly, UT AZ CA NV OR WA would be a better choice
  > than leaving AZ for last. I'm not sure the New England path is
  > optimal, either.

Everyone,

Here's a brief statement of the problem.  Starting at any state capital
in the lower 48 go to the other 47 state capitals visiting each capital
only once.  Figure out the longest and shortest path.  Send your solution,
guess, etc., in the form, for example,
    from: Mark Senn
    name: states visited in random order
    path: CADEIN[note: 45 more state abbreviations should go here -mark]
Use a unique name for each path submitted.

I'll write something up about this.  Let me know if you don't want your
solution, guess, etc. included in the write-up.

-mark