APM: Re: Fwd: Majordomo results

Jenda Krynicky Jenda at Krynicky.cz
Tue Oct 23 12:07:22 CDT 2001

> > I used to work as a sysadmin/user suport person in an advertising
> > agency for 2.5 years. Now I'm working for TMP.worldwide as "backend
> > developer".
>
> ah! my friend has just applied for a job there. what's it like? is it
> good pay, and are they looking for more people? :-)

It's quite good over here. Not like in McCann-Erickson where they
tried to save on everything, where you had to sign a paper just to
get new pencil, where most people leaved after two or three
months, where the person who was the bosses best friend
yesterday was fired immediately today, ... crazy company.
Thanks god I'm away.

For the salary ... I don't know. I think it's rather good, but it
depends on what you expect or what do you compare it to.

And we are always looking for more people.

> I'm a "developer" for a company called "capitol internet publisher".
> we do intranet and internet stuff for people like cesky telecom,
> british airways, dell and a few others. I mostly do projects in php,
> mysql and postgres, but we use oracle, perl, mssql, c, or whatever too
> (whatever the customer has).

Almost same here. Though it's a bit more IIS/VBScript oriented.
You can find "programmers" in VB easier in Prague. Well
programmers ... some of them are mere "script kidies" ;-)

> I realised I really didn't like being a sysadmin a couple of
> years ago after I got a chance to move to a programming position in
> the company I was working for, I will hopefully never go back to doing
> it.

Being sysadmin .... especialy if you are the user support person
yourself ... gets on your nerves. You never know what will explode
when, you're never done with anything, the only time when you can
concentrate on real work is during night when everybody's out ...
I've had enough.

Jenda

== Jenda at Krynicky.cz == http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz ==
: What do people think?