[Phoenix-pm] anyone use perl for non CGI here?

Jerry Davis jdawgaz at cox.net
Sun Mar 5 09:49:41 PST 2006

On Sunday 05 March 2006 10:36 am, Brock wrote:
> Indeed we do! And we'd love to discuss any of the many many things
> that we (and you) do with Perl (here or at meetings). Just start a
> thread or volutneer to present :)
>
> I do web stuff in my day to day job, so its on my mind a lot. But lets
> see... other stuff. I have lately been doing a side-project munging a
> bunch of census data. Figured out the 2000 census format and am now
> learning the 1990 format to do some comparisons. They use a sporatic mix
> of fixed field and delimited field records.
>
> What sort of applications/glue have you been playing with lately? :)

I am glad to hear it. :-)

Well in the past 7 years I have been in SCM, instead of development, and have
wound up being a developer in SCM land! How nice!

So I have written entire applications to do build releases with various code
repositories like cvs, svn, pvcs (pcli), and now clearcase.

I am also doing a lot now with clearquest hooks (written in perl), and
clearquest applications.

I have written a lot of perl/Tk to support a lot of the command line stuff
that I have written.

Anyway I am having a blast.
I would like to learn a lot more about ruby though, but I don't have the
time! ;-)

Anyway my post was not meant as a flame. Just a query.
I have just moved down to the valley (11/26) to be exact. And I am having a
blast here too.

I would be happy to share with y'all anything that I know.

Happy Trails,

Jerry