[Pdx-pm] [SPAM:###] Parrot Foundation has accepted 3 Google Summer of Code student proposals

Jonathan "Duke" Leto jonathan at leto.net
Tue May 28 12:44:29 PDT 2013

Howdy,

We have accepted 3 GSoC student proposals!

Javascript backend for Rakudo Perl 6 [0] by Paweł Murias (Poland)
Updating parrot-libgit2 to latest libgit2 release [1] by Saurabh Kumar (India)
Improve App::Parrot::Create [2] by Denis Boyun (Ukraine)

The community bonding period starts now. Please welcome our students
and give them constructive criticism about their proposals. They are
extremely intelligent students, but they do not have the years of real
world experience that many potential mentors posses.

If you are interested in helping mentor any of these projects (which
could be anything from answering a question on IRC occasionally to
being a dedicated mentor meeting with the student on a daily or weekly
basis), please become a mentor via Melange [3].

The above projects could use help from people that know about Perl 5,
Perl 6, Parrot, libgit2, C, the unix command-line, nasal demons and
the various portability Elder Gods that must be appeased to Make
Things Work.

Students can always use more encouragement, so please help me welcome
them to our awesome community and make sure they are constantly
learning and making progress.

If you ever want to know "what happens next", I highly recommend
joining the #gsoc IRC channel on Freenode, where you can type !next
and various other commands that will be answered by a properly trained
bot.

More details soon!

Duke

PS: We have at least two more proposals that I feel are worth funding
directly as grants from Parrot Foundation and/or The Perl Foundation.
I encourage any students who were not accepted to submit their
proposals directly to the previously mentioned organizations so it can
be decided if they should be funded directly.

[0] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/pmurias/9002
[1] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/saurabh_kgp/11002
[2] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/chob_rock/9001
[3] http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2013