[Pdx-pm] Hey all!

Erik Hollensbe erik at hollensbe.org
Tue Dec 15 03:38:21 PST 2009

On 12/14/2009 11:26 PM, Thomas O'Hearn wrote:
> I have a very basic question. I am in the Eugene area. My sister and
> her friend would like to create a website, and they'd like to work
> with someone who is experienced attaching search engines to sites,
> metacrawlers and all that.
>
> I know this is very basic. But it sounded like Perl was the language
> that popped up when discussing using search engines and implementing
> them into your site, so I tried to find people close to home.
>
> Anyone here capable and know more of what I'm talking about then I do?
> They basically want their search bar to be attached to one of the
> external engines available, or one of the crawlers that monitors the
> major engines...etc. They need someone who can do that.

For most cases, this is actually pretty simple, and requires no perl at all.

In HTML, you wish you designate a form that has an action that submits
to the search engines.

The above sentence should give you the requisite technical know-how to
find a complete answer on your own.

Best of luck! Learning should be most of the fun.

-Erik