[Pdx-pm] Wed. MEETING: WxPerl: What I Learned the Hard Way

Seven till Seven scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 17:35:33 PDT 2006

Meeting *tonight*  (well, tomorrow if you're not reading mail at work)

Update:  change of title and supposedly content

*special* Octoberfest promo for members only:  Bring a friend and I'll
buy you both a beer (or lesser libation.)

** special special ** give a 5-min overview of Alien.pm and/or camelpack
and get a free beer!  First person to e-mail me before noon wins it.

------------
October Meeting
  Wednesday Oct 11th, 6:53pm at FreeGeek -- 1731 SE 10th Ave.

Presenter:

  Eric Wilhelm

Topic:

  WxPerl:  What I Learned the Hard Way

OR:  How to have a decent and perlish architecture in spite of being
subjected to obscenely verbose reams of C++ documentation, overly
academic examples, slow wikis, and infection misconceptions.

  o wxWidgets -- what it is and what it can do for you
  o interlude:  mac users heckling loudly
  o Wx (aka wxPerl) -- crazy, but true!
  o dotReader:  an open-source e-book reader written in Perl
  o getting started / documentation
  o cross platform development (aka fun with vnc)
  o installation (aka fun with make/nmake/bake/shake/quake)
  o getting past getting started
  o code generation and why it is a good idea
  o event driven OOP -- how to have your cake without eating your hair
  o callbacks with closures, methods, and accessors
  o testing
  o building
  o testing
  o packaging and deployment on windows, mac, and linux
  o no really, testing
  o moose, Traits, and whatever else time allows

All this in a fun-filled and action-packed multimedia presentation
followed by Beer!  I know I'll be there!

--Eric
--

        http://pdx.pm.org