[Pdx-pm] Module::*, installing more than just modules?

Ben Prew ben.prew at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 11:08:01 CDT 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:23:58 -0700, Austin Schutz <tex at off.org> wrote:

> > Try
> >
> >   perldoc Module::Build | grep -i script
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > David
>
>         I'm not sure if you are intentionally flaming me or you're just
> inadvertantly insulting my intelligence, however neither sentiment is very
> appreciated.
>
>         I did end up making it work, after perusing the code. It is necessary
> to have the top line of your script begin with #! in order for the replacement
> to be done. Furthermore the install script isn't smart enough to automatically
> know which files it has installed, so if you make changes (as for testing)
> to the script in question you have to uninstall the just installed version in
> order to see changes made. That _is_ documented, but is unintuitive behavior
> that I initially missed.

perhaps he meant:

perldoc -m Module::Build |grep -i shebang

Although I can't imagine it would have been very useful.  In either
case, I think its about time Perl started allowing people to install
modules under Windows without downloading your own c compiler and make
program.  (And don't try to tell me Activestate does it, bleh).  The
best thing I have seen so far is PAR (par.perl.org), but it still
requires that the maintainer build the par file under the target
platforms (so the XS code can be correctly stored or generated, I'm
not sure which)

Good luck and I'd like to know how it turns out.