[Pdx-pm] Module::*, installing more than just modules?

Austin Schutz tex at off.org
Fri Oct 22 13:00:27 CDT 2004

> perhaps he meant:
>
> perldoc -m Module::Build |grep -i shebang
>
> Although I can't imagine it would have been very useful.  In either
> case, I think its about time Perl started allowing people to install
> modules under Windows without downloading your own c compiler and make
> program.  (And don't try to tell me Activestate does it, bleh).  The
> best thing I have seen so far is PAR (par.perl.org), but it still
> requires that the maintainer build the par file under the target
> platforms (so the XS code can be correctly stored or generated, I'm
> not sure which)
>
> Good luck and I'd like to know how it turns out.

	In my case I've made it work by using M::B for perl libraries,
autoconf for everything else - which in this case is a hodgepodge of sh,
expect, and perl scripts. This works reasonably well, and is the same
approach taken by some other packages such as ImageMagick.
	But then, my target is specifically unix systems, so I don't have
to worry about the windows case.

	Austin