[Pdx-pm] DBD::mysql cont.

Austin Schutz tex at off.org
Wed Mar 31 00:56:23 CST 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 09:55:26PM -0800, James marks wrote:
> The weird thing to me - and, again, I'm very new at this - is that
> every Perl module that's been installed on my machine has been
> installed using the MCPAN auto install method in order to properly deal
> with module dependencies and such, and every installation up until this
> one has gone smoothly (as far as I can tell, anyway) so I'm not sure
> why, suddenly, the installer is unable to find the mysql_config file
> when it has apparently had no problem finding in the past.

	I'm not sure either, but because the ownership of the files was
weird you seem to have done something non-standard to get yourself where you
are now, such as untar the package as one user and then build it as another.

> Using the "locate mysql_config" command, I immediately located the
> mysql_config file. I can try to set "PATH" variables and such but why
> would it suddenly be necessary now when it hasn't been for the other
> modules I've installed using the same method?

	Not sure, maybe it has something to do with the changing user issues.
The 'su' command, for example, may fool with your PATH variable for "security"
reasons.
	When in doubt 'echo $PATH' when you switch users.

> Something else that seems weird to me; when I do a find for every file
> ending in ".pm" I get a list of 697 files, many of which appear to be
> duplicates in different directories (same name, modification date and
> file size but residing in different directories). Isn't the MCAPN auto
> install method supposed to be properly installing these modules in
> their correct directories?

	It does, but it tends to leave a bunch of stuff in the .cpan folders
if errors occur. Also if you've set PREFIX when installing modules maybe
you inadvertantly installed a module twice.

> Frankly, I don't know enough about Mac OSX *NIX  or Perl and its
> modules to be able to look at my directories and determine if they're
> located where they should be, and I wouldn't have the first clue about
> how to go about moving the modules to the correct locations and
> eliminating unnecessary duplicates manually.

	If you do 'perl -V' perl will show you much data about your perl
installation, including your INC path. Don't fool with anything in any
of those directories manually and you will go a long way toward not hosing
your perl installation.
	Also individual perl applications may have chosen to keep separate
installations of requisite modules privately so they don't have to concern
themselves with versioning issues and the like, so be careful removing stuff.

	Anything under a .cpan/ directory is probably fair game for removal,
but don't quote me on that if your system is supporting someone's iron lung.

	Austin