[Pdx-pm] DBD::mysql cont.

James marks jamarks at jamarks.com
Wed Mar 31 01:24:43 CST 2004

On Mar 30, 2004, at 10:56 PM, Austin Schutz wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 09:55:26PM -0800, James marks wrote:
>> The weird thing to me - and, again, I'm very new at this - is that
>> every Perl module that's been installed on my machine has been
>> installed using the MCPAN auto install method in order to properly
>> deal
>> with module dependencies and such, and every installation up until
>> this
>> one has gone smoothly (as far as I can tell, anyway) so I'm not sure
>> why, suddenly, the installer is unable to find the mysql_config file
>> when it has apparently had no problem finding in the past.
>>

> 	I'm not sure either, but because the ownership of the files was
> weird you seem to have done something non-standard to get yourself
> where you
> are now, such as untar the package as one user and then build it as
> another.

That's possible. I initially downloaded several Perl modules and
installed them manually, then ran into module dependency problems when
trying to install others and was then shown how to use the MCAN auto
install method (THAT was a godsend to a new user!).  Perhaps the use of
"sudo" for some installs and not others created an ownership problem?

>> Something else that seems weird to me; when I do a find for every file
>> ending in ".pm" I get a list of 697 files, many of which appear to be
>> duplicates in different directories (same name, modification date and
>> file size but residing in different directories). Isn't the MCAPN auto
>> install method supposed to be properly installing these modules in
>> their correct directories?
>
> 	It does, but it tends to leave a bunch of stuff in the .cpan folders
> if errors occur. Also if you've set PREFIX when installing modules
> maybe
> you inadvertantly installed a module twice.

Yes. Many of the duplicates are in the /.cpan/build/ directories.

>> Frankly, I don't know enough about Mac OSX *NIX  or Perl and its
>> modules to be able to look at my directories and determine if they're
>> located where they should be, and I wouldn't have the first clue about
>> how to go about moving the modules to the correct locations and
>> eliminating unnecessary duplicates manually.
>
> 	If you do 'perl -V' perl will show you much data about your perl
> installation, including your INC path. Don't fool with anything in any
> of those directories manually and you will go a long way toward not
> hosing
> your perl installation.

Because I am new and inexperienced, I'm almost willing to just clear
everything out of the /Library/Perl/5.8.1/ directory and start over.
(That would still leave Perl itself installed on my machine, wouldn't
it?) That probably sounds drastic but, to me, it almost sounds simpler
in terms of making sure everything is properly installed.

I _really_ appreciate the help I'm getting from list members but some
of the suggestions are difficult for me to understand and follow given
my limited understanding of the system. I don't want to ask too many
questions and become a pest but I also don't want to "smile and nod"
when I don't really get it.

> 	Anything under a .cpan/ directory is probably fair game for removal,
> but don't quote me on that if your system is supporting someone's iron
> lung.

:)

Thanks!

James