[Pdx-pm] XP Project Management Tool

Randall Hansen randall at sonofhans.net
Tue Dec 14 16:17:56 CST 2004

On Dec 14, 2004, at 2:03 PM, Michael G Schwern wrote:

> But there is a free and open-source database that's on par with Oracle,
> PostgreSQL (ok, at least in the "we have the basic Real Database
> features"
> dept).  Why don't more people use that?  Personally, I find the
> documentation
> to be oddly user hostile

i agree.  i like PostgreSQL for its features, and its command line
beats MySQL handily, but its docs suck.  MySQL's, particularly its
user-commented documentation online, is really good.

> I'm not saying there's not a whole bunch of people who jumped on the
> MySQL
> bandwagon without looking at PostgreSQL, but for me I decided to trade
> off
> referrential integrity (useful), triggers (tend to bite you in the
> ass) and
> constraints (wish I had 'em) for better docs and syntax.

MySQL's had a roadmap for a long time, and they tend to stick with it.
the development is out in the open, and they tend to put priority on
features that users (as in, "people who actually use the app, not just
whine from the sidelines about it's lack of Feature X") (no offense
intended to anyone here) ask for.  i think in the long run this will
serve them in good stead.