[Pdx-pm] XP Project Management Tool

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Tue Dec 14 16:03:26 CST 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 12:39:48PM -0800, publiustemp-pdxpm at yahoo.com wrote:
> If Oracle were free and open-source, we wouldn't be having this
> discussion.

Oracle sucks in New and Interesting ways.  Though perhaps if it was
open source the suckage would have been beaten out of it long ago.

But there is a free and open-source database that's on par with Oracle,
PostgreSQL (ok, at least in the "we have the basic Real Database features"
dept).  Why don't more people use that?  Personally, I find the documentation
to be oddly user hostile and I like many of the MySQL syntax extensions.

I'm not saying there's not a whole bunch of people who jumped on the MySQL
bandwagon without looking at PostgreSQL, but for me I decided to trade off
referrential integrity (useful), triggers (tend to bite you in the ass) and
constraints (wish I had 'em) for better docs and syntax.  Because SQL
syntax is hateful enough already.

But I wouldn't mind having it all.  5.0 may finally be it.

--
Michael G Schwern        schwern at pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Please Captain, not in front of the Klingons.