[Pdx-pm] Error opening a file.

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Tue Aug 13 11:50:48 CDT 2002

At 10:29 PM 8/12/2002 -0700, you wrote:

>Russ> I have the following line in my script:
>Russ> my $input = new IO::File ("< $location/$area/$msg.xml");
>
>Russ> Which gives me the following error:
>
>Russ> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
>Russ> /home/httpd/cgi-bin/readmsg.pl line 55.
>
>Russ> I've verified that $location, $area and $msg all have values.
>
>If that's the error you're getting, I'm betting something there is not
>as you say.  I'd bet the rent on it.  Either you aren't running
>the script you think you are, or you aren't verifying that all
>of those values are defined() true, or something is broken with your
>Perl.
>
>But it is not as you say.

OK, I'm an idiot newbie...

I figured out what was happening, and it wasn't anything to do with that line.

It ran fine from the command line with two parameters, but didn't run from
the web browser. So I looked at my code to read the parameters. That was
fine. The problem was that I didn't create the URL properly in the calling
script. I put "?" between my parameters.

With an ampersand between the parameters, it works fine...

Russ Johnson
http://www.dimstar.net

Good pitching will always stop good hitting, and vice versa.
         - Casey Stengel