[HRPM] Perl Expertise

Jeff Duffy jduffy at semcor.com
Thu May 11 12:55:15 CDT 2000

Scott Cornette wrote:

> I have been noticing that a lot of questions on this mailing list are not
> too difficult to answer.  In addition, I have noticed mention of "homework"
> involving perl.  My question is this:  What is the general level of perl
> programming ability within this group?

 Well Scott, there are really two groups; the members of the
introductory Perl class (whose questions you are referring to), and the
regular HRPM members, who are a bit more advanced. Chris and I (who are
teaching the class) are constantly doing Perl development and are
probably among the most advanced perl coders in the group, along with a
few others like Mark and Bill.

> I think that it is great that there is a medium for questions like the ones
> I am seeing and I really love the fact that there are people yearning to
> learn perl.  I have been programming with perl (nearly exclusively) since
> 1994 and I am looking for a group that can help me progress even further in
> my knowledge of perl.

 Then you should definitely show up to a HRPM meeting. We always give a
presentation on some advanced aspect of Perl; in the past we've covered
building modules, advanced data types, DBI, etc. In the future we'll be
covering things like advanced reference usage (building complex
structures), linking Perl and C with XS, Object Oriented Perl
(inheritance, closures, polymorphism, etc.) and so on.

> I plan on sticking around and helping whenever I can because I really think
> it is awesome that there is continued interest in perl.  Perhaps I am
> underestimating the levels of perl expertise that I have seen so far.  If I
> have, please let me know so I will not make such an invalid assumption
> again.

 Again, please show up to our next meeting! We'd love to see you there
and get your inputs on what topics you'd like to hear about.

Jeff
--
Jeffrey A. Duffy
jduffy at semcor.com
perl -e 'print
pack"H*","4A6566662C20416E6F74686572205065726C204861636B65720A"'