[Melbourne-pm] How to build a local module repository

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at rea-group.com
Mon Jun 2 17:52:19 PDT 2008

David Dick wrote:
> Toby Corkindale wrote:
>> I suggest using the distributions own tools for package management. RPM on
>> RedHat, APT on Debian/Ubuntu, Portage on Gentoo, etc.
>> I'm really unfamiliar with Windows so I'm not sure their system uses, but they
>> must have something for enterprise management of windows servers, surely?
>>
> Microsoft uses the msi format for native package management.  They have
> releaseed an open source project called Wix that is hosted on
> sourceforge to generate native windows packages.  Wix takes an XML file
> as input to describe files, environment variables, registry settings,
> services, etc and creates an appropriate .msi file with or without gui
> installer screen.  There is a good tutorial at
> http://www.tramontana.co.hu/wix/ I've used wix on a number of projects
> and found it to be a pretty useful tool for generating packages.

Does the Windows installer handle dependencies yet?

That always annoyed me.. you'd go to install something, and then halfway
through the install it'd bomb out and say "sorry, you need the .Net
blahblah extension installed, you can get it from LINK."

(I should really try out Vista or Server 2008 one of these days to see
how things are going..)

--
Toby Corkindale
Software developer

Warning - This e-mail transmission may contain confidential information.
If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us
immediately on (61 3) 9897 1121 or by reply email to the sender. You
must destroy the e-mail immediately and not use, copy, distribute or
disclose the contents.