[Melbourne-pm] How to build a local module repository

David Dick ddick at aapt.net.au
Mon Jun 2 03:11:07 PDT 2008

Toby Corkindale wrote:
> I suggest using the distributions own tools for package management. RPM on
> RedHat, APT on Debian/Ubuntu, Portage on Gentoo, etc.
> I'm really unfamiliar with Windows so I'm not sure their system uses, but they
> must have something for enterprise management of windows servers, surely?

Microsoft uses the msi format for native package management.  They have
releaseed an open source project called Wix that is hosted on
sourceforge to generate native windows packages.  Wix takes an XML file
as input to describe files, environment variables, registry settings,
services, etc and creates an appropriate .msi file with or without gui
installer screen.  There is a good tutorial at
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/wix/ I've used wix on a number of projects
and found it to be a pretty useful tool for generating packages.