[Melbourne-pm] Apache Cache

Ian Holsman lists at holsman.net
Mon Jul 3 20:06:29 PDT 2006

On 04/07/2006, at 12:57 PM, Scott Penrose wrote:

> On 04/07/2006, at 12:34, Ian Holsman wrote:
>
>> what about using memcached ?
>
> If you read my original mail, I actually specifically suggested
> memcached.
that would be cheating.

>> I wouldn't use the CPAN module though, there are 2 others which
>> are being used at the moment.
>> there is a discussion about the Perl Client here: http://
>> lists.danga.com/pipermail/memcached/2006-June/ and http://
>> lists.danga.com/pipermail/memcached/2006-July/
>
> Hmm... we use the cpan module at work without hitch. But if there
> is other solutions why are they not being put on CPAN ?
it's more the performance.. if you read the threads it goes into it
in more detail.

> I wonder if a cascaded Cache::Cache system could be implemented -
> e.g. Memory -> Disk -> Original - so you have a way of caching the
> most popular disk entries in memory (by memory that can of course
> be Memcached) :-)

why not use squid? I believe it does the memory -> disk -> original
thing.
or a CDN like akamai/Coral

also are you sure that serving the images out of memory is faster
than using sendfile and local disk? (or using a thin webserver to
serve them instead of involving mod-perl at all)