[Melbourne-pm] Apache Cache

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Mon Jul 3 19:57:00 PDT 2006

On 04/07/2006, at 12:34, Ian Holsman wrote:

> what about using memcached ?

If you read my original mail, I actually specifically suggested
memcached.

>> I could just do a directory cache, but then if someone
>> wanted to move to Memcached (for example) that might make it harder.

:-)

> i'm guessing thumbnails are about 40-50k each.. you could just
> stick the things in memecache and let it cache a couple of thousand
> that way.
>
> http://www.danga.com/memcached/
>
> I wouldn't use the CPAN module though, there are 2 others which are
> being used at the moment.
> there is a discussion about the Perl Client here: http://
> lists.danga.com/pipermail/memcached/2006-June/ and http://
> lists.danga.com/pipermail/memcached/2006-July/

Hmm... we use the cpan module at work without hitch. But if there is
other solutions why are they not being put on CPAN ?

Anyway, my point is NOT to tie into one solution. The File Cache
method most cpan apache gallery type code uses is bad, but forcing
memcached only would be worse - as we may be dealing with terabytes
of images. In some places though where performance is key and usage
is small, then memcached - and of course the possibility of both for
performance.

The point is that there should be an Apache module for caching which
does all this for me - the problem with the modules available is that
they do everything themselves - so lots of repetition, lack of
flexibility etc.

Probably the best is to use something like Cache::Cache, write a
Memcached plugin for that (I started one but have not yet finished
it) and then have something like a Apache Cache plugin for
Cache::Cache as well - then you have a totally flexible solution.

I wonder if a cascaded Cache::Cache system could be implemented -
e.g. Memory -> Disk -> Original - so you have a way of caching the
most popular disk entries in memory (by memory that can of course be
Memcached) :-)

Oh my problem is that I want the world :-)

Ta