Self-managed dedicated Linux hosting

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Tue Mar 23 21:27:57 CST 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 05:27:33PM +1100, JP Howard wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:16:32 +1100, "Simon Taylor" <simon at unisolve.com.au> said:
> >   www.serverbeach.com $US 129 / month, no setup fee
>
> I've used Serverbeach and can recommend them. It's important for remote hosts
> that you have an online-reboot capbility, which Serverbeach provide. Their
> tech support is cheap and reasonably effective. They provide lots of
> bandwidth.

one very important thing to check with any hosting provider is how responsive
they are to spam complaints, and whether their IP addresses are in any RBLs.
you really do not want to find that your site is unable to send mail because
the ISP's entire netblock is blacklisted in one or more RBLs because they don't
respond to spam complaints.

just as importantly, you don't want to be contributing to the spam problem by
financially supporting a spamhaus ISP.

at the very least, search google groups (aka usenet news) for "abuse and
ISPNAME".

i don't know what they are like now, but i know that ServerBeach's name has
come up several times on nanae and other anti-spam forums as an ISP that
doesn't (didn't?) give a damn about the spam problem, and is (was?) almost
permanently blacklisted.

> BTW, if you use remote hosting, and you want to upgrade your kernel, I
> strongly suggest using lilo instead of grub. When you want to test a new
> kernel, use 'lilo -R kernel_name'. This will use your kernel only for the
> next reboot. If your machine doesn't come back up, just use the online
> reboot facility and you'll be back in business. Last time I checked Grub
> did not provide this capability.

yes, very good advice.  'lilo -R' has saved me from numerous long & boring
drives out to servers located all over Vic.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>

The next time you vote, remember that "Regime change begins at home"