Perl career progression

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Sep 8 20:28:00 CDT 2003

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003, Nathan Bailey wrote:

[...]

> I do think SQL stands on its own, in the sense that you are unlikely
> to write perl *applications* without some kind of database
> interaction, regardless of the webness of it.

At a previous job, we wrote around 10,000 lines of Perl code that did
not have anything at all to do with SQL. Come to think of it, up to the
time I left, *none* of our Perl code had ever touched an SQL database...

...no, wait. A tiny script in the install routine did, because the SQL
monitor for SQL server couldn't do what we needed. :)

[...]

> I suspect that paragraph will result in a lot of contention, but
> presuming agreement for the sake of clarity in the current
> discussion...  Would adding another column or two about other relevant
> technologies frequently used in perl be sufficient?

I think that making the technologies and the skills independent is what
you need to do. Knowing SQL well is not a sign of a good Perl
programmer, and knowing Perl well does not make you a DBA or SQL
performance expert.

            Daniel

--
Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis.
        -- Ralph Waldo Emerson