Perl career progression (Was: Perl work at Monash)

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Mon Sep 8 21:22:51 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, Sep 9, 2003, at 12:07 Australia/Melbourne, Brad Bowman
wrote:

>> It is funny you say that, because I am finding myself moving further
>> away from SQL.
>
> Amen!
>
>> I am really only using SQL now if I have a relational database - not
>> if
>> I have non relational data.
>
> Halleluiah!!
>
>> I am finding more and more I am leaning towards hierarchical and
>> object
>> databases - although non formal, mostly involved with storing XML in a
>> directory structure etc.
>
> Praise be to .. No, hang on, stop the music.
> I ain't doing no XML.  YAML, Storable or straight perl.

Actually all our storage goes through our single MI::Data library and
DOES store it using Storable.
But I recently (customer requirements) had to use XML, and it was
trivial to change the single point :-)

> But then I'm not currently sharing my toys with Java/web-services.

Thus the reason I had to change - very cool the way you can just pnp
(for real).

>> Maybe as part of our new portal site, and to help Simon in creation of
>> good tutorials we could setup a 'best in bread' selection of perl
>> modules and have us all vote on them - maybe that already exists
>> elsewhere?
>
> P5EE http://www.officevision.com/pub/p5ee/

or even p5ee.perl.org

p5ee is a good project, but like all books etc - it is not really
community controlled. Hmmm... that probably came out wrong. What I
would like is a voting system like that of advogato !

Scott
- --
Scott Penrose
Anthropomorphic Personification Expert
http://search.cpan.org/search?author=SCOTT
scott at cpan.org

Dismaimer: While every attempt has been made to make sure that this
email only contains zeros and ones, there has been no effort made to
guarantee the quantity or the order.