Red Hat, RPMs and Perl

Michael S. mjs at beebo.org
Tue Aug 20 23:10:54 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, August 21, 2002, at 01:18 , Scott Penrose wrote:

> on my home server I use CPAN. Coz that is my computer. In our work we
> maintain over 200 servers, all done by APT and Debian packages. CPAN
> requires way to much user intervention, so we can't automate it.

I use CPAN too, but I install into a home directory with "lperl", which
is aliased to

   perl Makefile.PL LIB=$HOME/local/lib/CPAN
INSTALLMAN1DIR=$HOME/local/man/man1 INSTALLMAN3DIR=$HOME/local/man/man3
INSTALLSCRIPT=$HOME/local/lib/CPAN/bin

This way I can install new versions of e.g. LWP and not worry about
busting my main Perl RPM.  ($HOME/local/lib/perl is where my modules
go.)  This isn't such a good idea for server systems though I suppose.
Actually, pretty much everything I compile from source ends up going
into a home directory; my "lconfigure" (which lperl is analogous to) is
aliased to

   ./configure --prefix=$HOME/local --exec-prefix=$HOME/local-$PLATFORM

where $PLATFORM can be darwin, linux, sunos, etc.

--M.

* * *
http://beebo.org