Red Hat, RPMs and Perl

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Tue Aug 20 22:18:27 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, August 21, 2002, at 02:48 , JP Howard wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:25:27 +1000, "Simon Taylor"
> <simon at unisolve.com.au> said:
>> We remove the vendors packages completely, install perl from source
>> and use the CPAN module to install everything else.
>>
>> This *so* much simplifies issues like building mod_perl apache and
>> installing other xs modules.
>>
> Exactly. We do the same thing for the same reason. CPAN handles
> dependencies very nicely by itself. The only annoying thing is that a
> small number of packages have interactive makefiles. Grrr...
>
> As Scott mentioned, this does mean lying to your packager of choice
> about your Perl install (such as through installing a dummy package of
> Perl itself), but such deception is sometimes justified.
>
> Mind you, take my advice with a grain of salt--I'm mainly working with
> servers rather than desktops, and install the majority of stuff from
> source. So I'm not really into packages into general...

on my home server I use CPAN. Coz that is my computer. In our work we
maintain over 200 servers, all done by APT and Debian packages. CPAN
requires way to much user intervention, so we can't automate it.

Scott Penrose
Open source developer
http://linux.dd.com.au/
scottp at dd.com.au

Dismaimer: Open sauce usually ends up never coming out (of the bottle).