Red Hat, RPMs and Perl

JP Howard jh_lists at fastmail.fm
Tue Aug 20 23:22:40 CDT 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:25:52 +1000, "Scott Penrose" <scottp at dd.com.au>
said:
> So my recommendation is exactly the opposite of Simons, which is to put
> more effort into using the one package system, and treat perl like you
> do python, apache, c, X, java, etc..... unless you only work on perl
> code in which case go for CPAN.

I'm sure both approaches can work. We use Expect scripts and similar to
automate the bits that require intervention--this is rather a pain. As
Simon mentioned, dealing with binary packages is quite a pain when it
comes to XS, mod_perl, etc... So while both approaches work, both have
their downsides.

There's certainly room for improvement--something that takes the best
of both worlds would sure be nice... integrating CPAN's
build/dependency process into a system-wide packaging system and
removing the need for interaction...