[LA.pm] advice about contracting

Mark Hedges mark.hedges.data at gmail.com
Mon May 25 20:58:58 PDT 2015

On May 25, 2015 8:26 PM, "Peter Scott" <peter at psdt.com> wrote:

> On 5/25/15 8:16 PM, Mark Hedges wrote:
>>

>> Right, I'd be a W-2 employee of a contracting agency.  No benefits.  The
agency takes like 35-45% of the income.

> Is this a job or indentured servitude?  Are you required to shop at a
company store?

> I've had an intermediate contractor that I subbed through to avoid
dealing with onerous paperwork from the prime.  Not an employer, but yours
doesn't sound much like one either. They skimmed 10% for the service of
turning a monthly invoice into a check.  I thought that was excessive.

I would tend to doubt that they actually told you the truth about that.

Probably what you were told, technically, was that the recruiter who found
you the job got 10%. And they got nothing else, no base salary. Entry-level
recruiters have a hard time of it. But what was actually happening was the
company was taking a lion's share of an additional 20-30%, all hush hush.
I'd bet you signed something saying you would not ask the end company how
much they were paying, and that the end company signed a contract agreeing
to not ask you how much you were making. That is usually how they play this
game.

Mark